TED BINGE, MMMMPosted: January 7, 2010
Where do you go when you’re looking for inspiration? I’ve found a lot by way of TED.
TED (taken from the website) is a small nonprofit devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. It started out (in 1984) as a conference bringing together people from three worlds: Technology, Entertainment, Design.
I’ve been on a TED binge lately. Looking for new ideas. Ideas about things that I have a decent grasp on, and things I have a superficial understanding of, at best.
The point, though, for me is broadening what I know, even if it’s only cursory. When my mind starts trying to understand, is when the connections start to happen, is when I get inspired.
New ideas + Connections = Inspiration.
Here are 11 TED speakers I’ve listened to in the past week that have got me thinking:
- Richard St. John: “Success is a continuous journey”. (3:55)
- Alexis Ohanian (co-founder of Reddit): How to make a splash in social media. (4:27)
- VS Ramachandran: The neurons that shaped civilization. (7:44)
- Loretta Napoleoni: The intricate economics of terrorism. (15:45)
- PW Singer on military robots and the future of war. (16:09)
- Rody Sutherland: Life lessons from an ad man. (16:39)
- Phililppe Starck thinks deep on design. (17:11)
- Gregory Stock: To upgrade is human. (17:55)
- Chimamanda Adichie: The danger of a single story. (18:49)
- Elizabeth Gilbert on nurturing creativity. (19:32)
- Dan Buettner: How to live to be 100+. (19:39)
Check them out and let me know your thoughts. Also, where do you find inspiration. I’m always looking for new avenues!